Sunday, November 21, 2010

Thoughts of Christmas

With Christmas just around the corner, I'm really trying to put things into perspective for my precious babies. They all know that there is no real Santa, and that Christmas is all about the birthday of Jesus. My thoughts are turned to the materialism that is associated with the season, and what I can do to show my children what Christmas is really all about. The light of the world created a beautiful picture of His birth. The world has turned it into a frenzied shopping spree for unneeded frivolities. As much as I love the season, and the smells and tastes that go with it, I have come to despise what the media and society have made the holiday into. I dread shopping for those "perfect gifts" that are not so "Perfect." Many presents given in December will ultimately land on the shelves of Goodwill, or The Salvation Army in January, and the sad part is that some of them will be unopened. I would love to merely spend a week with my family-completely void of housework, TV, jobs, and appointments. Just to spend time playing games, crafting projects, or working in a scrapbook. --or my favorite, reading a book. The "good ol' days" are not really dead and gone. They are just forgotten, and need to have a little dust and cobwebs cleared so that we can see them for what they really were--wonderful...

No comments:

Post a Comment